TitleFMG Tsumura Business Papers
Creation Date1898 – 1910
April – August 1991
43.180 cm. H x 13.970 cm. W Item (Overall)
Measurements are of the tool in the closed position.
DescriptionMechanical nail puller. This is one of the earlier patented, heavy duty nail puller from the 19th century! It also is one of the most complex designs of that era, with several moving parts! The sliding cast handle section is marked "SAMSON" on one side and "PAT. AUG.16.92 MAR.1.98" in raised cast lettering. The sliding handle has two functions, one is to use the L shaped section as a hammer against the round shanked nail pinchers (to get hold on the nail), 2nd is as a sliding leverage extension. The unit is about 24" long when the handle is fully extended. There is also a unique cast side handle for additional grip on the tool while in use, or for carrying it. Once the nail is gripped by the pinchers, as large cast pad is in place to give plenty of support against the wood the nail is being removed from. This unit will pull the nail out about 2.5" from the pad on the bottom or the deck surface.
Papers relating to the Tsumura International company and their location of their FMG Tsumura Division in Shakopee. The Shakopee plant had its grand opening on May 2, 1991, and closed its doors in 2000. The paper grouping was collected by Arlene Stejskal, who worked in shipping for Tsumura.
The paper grouping consists of the following:
- Correspondence from Juanity Menke to all FMG Employees, discussing the Grand Opening Ceremony Schedule, dated April 25, 1991
- Brochure discussing the details of the FMG Tsumura facility, undated
- Pamphlet from the Grand Opening Ceremony, detailing the speakers, dedication of tree, ribbon cutting ceremony, and final remarks, dated May 2, 1991. A Grand Opening button/pin is clasped to the brochure.
- Pamphlet for the evening events (banquet) of the Grand Opening Ceremony, which occured in Minneapolis. Pamphlet includes a list of cocktail reception, sit-down dinner, remarks, entertainment, and a list of speakers for the remarks, dated May 2, 1991
- Newspaper article from the Shakopee Valley News concerning the Grand Opening of Tsumura's plant in Shakopee, dated May 9, 1991
- Tsumura Journal, Volume 2, Number 2, detailing the celebration of the grand opening for the FMG Tsumura Division plant, and detailing the building and workers itself, dated May-June 1991
- Tsumura Journal, Volume 2, Number 3, detailing the progress that Tsumura International and DuCair Tsumura have made , dated July-August 1991 Stejskal, Arlene